Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Back Up Plan

Met with Dr. Staffen at Shaddy Grove Fertillity with my mom and dad.....well more my mom because my dad was to embarressed to come back and talk about everything with the doctor.  Discussed my fertility options with him.  He talked about the process and what could happen.  He asked my specific questions regarding my history.  Because I had nothing definitive set up with my treatment start date, he said he would talk with my oncologist and work with her.  Dr. Favret said she felt confident and was comfortable waiting so that I could do fertility preservation.

Another positive notem Dr. Staffen said that because I had two other family members who had neurofibromatosis, they could test my eggs for it and see if they were positive for it.  This would be important to ensure my children if (needing to go this route) did not have Neurofibromatosis.

Freazing and implantation of eggs that result in a pregnancy is a 50% rate.  But it is a chance I want to take.  It is a chance I need to take, just in case.  I know most likely I will either not lose it at all or get it back if I do when Chemo is over. 

I finished filling out some financial forms to help me with financial assistance due to having cancer and felt pretty confident that I was going to get much assistance with this process.  If not, it was going to be really expensive.  But I was willing and ready to put it in my credit cards.  As I was already looking at applying for another one if needed.  Normaly the whole process cost $9500 if the insurance does not cover, and this is not including other testing and office visits etc.  My insurance will cover some of that, but it does not cover the fertility process at all.  I have found out at I am eligible for a reduced cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment